Re: Help: What need to be installed for a names server

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:51:07 GMT

Unfortunately, the only way to install Names Server for 8.1.7 is to install the RDBMS as well. I'm not sure why Oracle changed this. Previous versions let you install just the Names Server without the RDBMS. So you must install it. After you are done, you can try one of 2 things. You can either try uninstalling the RDBMS and leave just Names or you can just run Names without starting any databases on that server. This last one will just waste disk space.

HTH,
Brian

u132781982_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net wrote:

> We want to install a names server for our
> network.
>
> But when we try to install oracle 8.1.7 client,
> we can not find NAMES feature. When we try to
> install from Oracle 8.1.7 Enterprise, oracle 8i
> server is required to be installed. Do we have
> to install a whole database while all we need is
> only net 8?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> --
> Sent by dbadba62 from hotmail piece from com
> This is a spam protected message. Please answer with reference header.

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center
These opinions are my own and do not