Re: What is against autoextending datafiles? (was: autoextend = ???

From: Steve Bell <swayne.bell_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 18:34:39 GMT

Hi Frank,
It's generally suggested to avoid it if you can because of the overhead involved in Oracle checking and managing file sizes..same argument applies with any other object that can change size dynamically .

I saw a good post by Niall Litchfield in comp.databases.oracle.misc (I think) today which I tend to agree with ..if you've got a max size parameter it's probably not the end of the world if you autoextend.