Re: Oracle trigger to call a shell script?

From: Bastiaan Schaap <bschaap_at_desyde.nl>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:15:00 +0200

Hi Anne,

I did this one time, using Oracle pipes. However, this requires that you write a little deamon that runs on the same machine as your database. This is actually how we sent email from the 7.3 database (we were soooo happy with utl_smtp in 8i!!). You can achieve this by writing a very little program in pro*C that 'looks' at a message queue through pipes. You can place messages in this queue by using the dbms_pipe package. The deamon can pick this up and execute any unix command, program or shell script it has access to. I believe there's u full functioning example in the 7.3 database programmers guide (which was actually the base for our own deamon..). This is the only way that I know of.... maybe there's someone with another (better?) idea.

HTH, Bastiaan Schaap
Desyde BV
bschaap_at_desyde.nl
Tel 06 - 51998277
Fax 035 - 5430547
http://www.desyde.nl

Database administrators do it with their relations Received on Thu Apr 05 2001 - 01:15:00 CDT