Re: Solaris vs. Linux sun vs intel ???

From: Bastiaan Schaap <bschaap_at_desyde.nl>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:03:53 +0200

Hi Todd,

Indeed I often work in large groups, and often *have* to take a step back and take a look at the big picture. Indeed I'm mostly a programmer, and I have very little DBA experience, you are absolutely right. My only intention was to point out that are a lot of aspects to comparing two systems than performance alone. Obviously you have had other experiences, and are there a lot more linux oriented DBA's in the states. However, I'm not making up that we've seriously made a tco analysis at a 5 yr estimate for linux vs. sun (we can make this estimate within a 5% inaccuracy since we're premier Oracle partner here in The Netherlands. In fact we handle *ALL* Oracle web projects for them). For us the break-even point would be at about 3yrs. We do not have linux DBA expertise in house, and have to hire freelance personnel. Offcourse you know these are a bit more expensive than hiring one (over here about x3). However, there's only a small group of DBA's with this expertise in The Netherlands, and they're almost all freelance, not willing to commit themselves to one company. This puts thing in a different perspective. I should have been more general in my post, or more specific. I apologize for that, since my intention was not to misguide anyone. You're absolutely right, I've taken your point.

No offence taken, I'm looking forward in exchanging thoughts again sometime,

Cheers,

Ing. BJW Schaap
Desyde BV
bschaap_at_desyde.nl
Tel 06 - 51998277
Fax 035 - 5430547
http://www.desyde.nl

Always avoid temptation unless you can't resist it Received on Thu Apr 05 2001 - 01:03:53 CDT