Re: Oracle and Win2000??

From: <paul.moore_at_atosorigin.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 17:23:15 +0200

Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> writes:

> > I am considering installing Windows 2000 instead of WinNT. Is it
> > easier or harder to use Oracle 8i enterprise, jdeveloper, forms
> > etc?. And do ALL the their features work on Win2000 (netconfig
> > etc)? Any pointers will be appreciated
>
> I have found no difference between the environments other than the
> fact that Win2000 is more of a memory pig than WinNT.

One nice feature of Win2000 is that the server version comes with 2 terminal server licenses "for administration use". This means you can do a lot of admin from your desk. However, there is a *big* gotcha with this - Oracle isn't supported on Terminal Server (read the release notes for details), and connecting to a Win2K server via Terminal Services counts.

Specifically, "local" connections (using ORACLE_SID rather than TNS names) fail. This breaks many of the tools, such as Database Assistant. It isn't an incompatibility (you couldn't do this at all on NT), but it is something you might want to use once you get Win2000, and you could waste a lot of time (took me 3 days before someone in Oracle support managed to ask me the right question to find out that I was using a terminal server :-))

Paul Received on Thu Apr 05 2001 - 10:23:15 CDT