Re: Increasing value of Max Processes

From: TMAN <shadow_man_600_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 09:40:01 -0500

Keith Jamieson wrote:

> What is the effect on Server memory, if I increase the max no of processes
> by 100.
>
> Will this result in the server using an extra 100M of memory?
> ie 1M of emmory assigned to each process.

No, it will not directly require more memory to up this number. The processes parameter only sets the number of operating system user processes you allow to connect to an oracle server at the same time. Now with that said, if you up this number, the memory required by oracle on the server can increase, if there are now more connections coming in to the server. Each connection coming in requires X amount of memory to run on the server side. X being variable depending on the application or process actually coming in, you'll have to examine the memory usage on the server to get that info. I've seen processes require as little as 10MB and and much as 120MB (yes we have some beast running here). Also be sure to double check your sessions parameter if you change the processes parameter.

Thom Crider Received on Wed Apr 04 2001 - 09:40:01 CDT