Re: Solaris versus AIX: pricing question

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 04 Apr 2001 19:46:16 +0100 (BST)

Jim Hutchison <jimhutchison_at_attcanada.com> wrote:
>I've heard Oracle's licensing model makes it cheaper to run on AIX as
>opposed to Solaris, due to the horsepower of the RS6k chip.
>
>I'm interested in researching this more, so I'm starting here... any
>experience/opinions?

Oracle translates MHz into Power Units, which determine the price: see http://store.oracle.com/cec/cstage?eccookie=&template=help_licensing.en.htm for details.

If nothing else matters to you other than minimizing the Oracle licencing cost, you should look at www.spec.org at the specInt 2000 "CINT2000 Rates" and pick the system with the best specintrate/MHz.

Of course, other things will matter, but it'll give you an idea of this factor.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/