Re: Solaris vs. Linux sun vs intel ???

From: Todd Gillespie <toddg_at_linux127.ma.utexas.edu>
Date: 4 Apr 2001 07:40:16 GMT

sdenney <sdenney_at_healthetech.com> wrote:
: Does anyone have any information on Oracle on Linux/intel as compared to
: unix(Solaris/sun)? Or would you know where I could get this sort of
: information? We are running smoothly in development using a small sun
: machine but IT wants to look into switching to Linux on intel machines are
: there pitfalls?

I'm not sure where you can get authoritative info to compare these choices, but we have all the ancedotes you could ever need :)

In my opinion there are no 'pitfalls', per se. I've run Oracle on both, and in the 1 sentence analysis, "you'll be happy either way." If you're a programmer or user, the change is completely transparent.

Now, tips:
Hardware:
databases are IO-bound. PCs have smaller buses & IO than SPARC, a flaw made worse by the low quality of most PC stuff on the market. Do *not* skimp on hardware. IT often tries Linux on some $500 box, and compares it to a $5000 sun. "Oh look! Linux is slower!" gag. Buy the best motherboards, SCSI cards, drives, etc. Athlons over P4s -- AMD's bus is wider than Intel's (you might need to play with the boards to get the full 200Mhz bus, though.) Try VALinux. I've had nothing but *fantastic* support from them. Be afraid - the cheap PC stuff is much flakier than the pro Unix stuff.

Software:
Tune, tune, tune those kernels!
Tune, tune, tune those drives!
Upgrade to 2.5 as soon as Alan Cox builds it! (multiple IO locks, plus a

        wish list from Oracle) Received on Wed Apr 04 2001 - 02:40:16 CDT