Re: Which version of Oracle 8 to choose and why?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 23:23:17 -0700

My comments interspersed below.

Daniel A. Morgan

Jason Seeley wrote:

> Half my problem is that Baan do not support any one version over another,
> here is the reply I got from Baan Support regarding this matter.

That doesn't matter. They are clearly telling you that they support a number of releases.

The answer below clearly indicates that they support 8.1.7 which is the most recently released version by Oracle. If Oracle supports your hardware platform that is the correct answer. Do not make a simple decision complex by expecting Baan to differentiate between different things that are equivalent.

Daniel A. Morgan

> >Hi Jason,
> > Here is the matrix of the supported combination of DEC_ALPHA unix and
 Oracle 8 for all
> > versions of baan IV c.
> >
> > Supported Platforms
> > DEC_ALPHA\Tru64_Unix4.0d
> > DEC_ALPHA\Tru64_Unix4.0e
> > DEC_ALPHA\Tru64_Unix4.0f
> > DEC_ALPHA\Tru64_Unix5.0
> > DEC_ALPHA\Tru64_Unix5.0a
> > DEC_ALPHA\Tru64_Unix5.1
> >
> > Oracle 8 Versions
> > Oracle 8 .0.5.x
> > Oracle 8 .0.6.x
> > Oracle 8 .1.5.x
> > Oracle 8 .1.6.x
> > Oracle 8 .1.7.x
>
> I have tried to press them to make a recommendation based on experiences of
> other Baan users but to no avail.
>
> Really I was looking from the Oracle point of view to compare the merits of
> one version over another.
>
> Thanks for your replies
>
> Regards
> Jason
>
> "Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Good point.
> >
> > I had assumed the Oracle support issue but it is far better that you have
 stated
> > it explicitly.
> >
> > Daniel A. Morgan
> >
> > Bastiaan Schaap wrote:
> >
> > > I agree with Daniel, however I would keep in mind that if you have
 Oracle
> > > support, you have to have a certified hard-/software platform on which
 your
> > > database resides. E.g. if you have Oracle 8.1.5 installed on windows2000
 you
> > > will not get support. It'll probably work fine, but if some problems
 occur,
> > > Oracle will not provide support, because 8.1.5 is not certified on
> > > Windows2000. You should keep this in mind also.. Choosing 8i release 3
> > > (8.1.7) is fine offcourse (if Baan supports it), but be sure that the
> > > platform you are running on is certified with 8.1.7. If you do not
 have, or
> > > do not wish to have Oracle support, you should go ahead and choose
 whatever
> > > latest version Baan supports.
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bastiaan Schaap
> > > Desyde BV
> > > bschaap_at_desyde.nl
> > > Tel (+31)(0)6 - 51998277
> > > Fax (+31)(0)35 - 5430547
> > > http://www.desyde.nl
> > >
> > > 'Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense'
> > >
> > > "Jason Seeley" <me_at_127.0.0.1> wrote in message
 (64
 bit)
 we
 have