Re: oracle 8.0.6 running aweful!!!!! need tuning advice!

From: Ed Stevens <ed.stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 14:01:28 GMT

On 26 Mar 2001 00:26:27 +0100 (BST), Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>oskar <pheonix1t_at_home.com> wrote:
>> So, until they get around to it I need to start taking some measurements
>>of this thing and see just how bad it is and why? Kyle Hailey posted a
>>monitor utility that he's developed as well as a link to Quest.com. What do
>>oracle professionals have to say about quest software or Kyle's monitor
>>software?
>
>Quest's software appears quite good for a GUI monitor, but it isn't
>cheap. A colleague of mine uses Spotlight. I haven't used Kyle
>Hailey's software yet.
>
>None of the software packages give you much information that isn't
>available to you through reports and stats that come with Oracle, they
>present it in a way that some people may find more accessible.
>
>>forgive the long message but I'd really appreciate some accurate advice on
>>what I should be reading or looking at to solve this problem!
>
>You quite rightly say that there's a lot to learn about Oracle tuning.
>There are far worse places to start than Oracle's own documentation, The
>"Designing and Tuning for Performance" manual is a good introduction to
>general methodology.
>
>Beyond that, the best information is on the web sites Howard Rogers
>mentioned.
>
>Sybrand Bakker mentioned utl{b,e}stat reports, these are the best
>tool available in 8.0. At the risk of suggesting a quick fix, which
>is potentially dangerous with a system as complex as Oracle, you could
>try uploading your utlestat report to www.oraperf.com for an automated
>interpretation.
>
>--
>Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/

Your reference to www.oraperf.com looked interesting, so I gave it a shot. Could you give some more info on what this site is, who owns and maintains it, etc.?

I tried feeding it several utilestat reports, and all I got back was "The report file contains some SQL errors. Please re-generate your file again"

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)