Re: Which version of Oracle 8 to choose and why?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 22:10:14 -0700

> We are currently running version Oracle 7.3.4 on an Alpha processor (64 bit)
> running Digital Unix 4.0f. With the de-supporting (sp?) of version 7 we have
> decided to upgrade to version 8.
>
> We use Baan finacial and manufacturing software which uses the oracle
> database. I have checked with Baan support and they tell me that our current
> version of Baan will run on Oracle 7 or 8. They would not specify a
> particular version of 8 to use.
>
> So my question to all of you good folk is this:
>
> How do I decide which version of Oracle 8 do I go with and why?

You choose the most recent version that Baan will support ... meaning they have tested their software on it and are willing to stand behind the compatibility. To choose any version earlier than the most recent your vendor supports is just a guarantee that Oracle will stop supporting it sooner rather than later.

A years ago I worked with Baan on Oracle 8.1.5 on clustered Sequents so I suspect they will support a recent version ... and they may already support 8.1.7. Pin them down and get the answer in writing. Do not accept someone's telephone representation. Your company is about to spend a lot of money and you don't want to get it wrong with the noose around your neck.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Tue Apr 03 2001 - 00:10:14 CDT