Re: Pro's & Con's on Oracle & SQL Svr?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:59:06 +1000

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3AC8F1F3.2363C4A1_at_exesolutions.com...

> > I didn't ask for a spool file. Just a report on what
 dba_rollback_segments
> > reports and/or what the relevant line in your sql.bsq read. You made
 the
> > claim you could create a database without a system rollback segment, I
 just
> > asked you to verify it.
>
> I did. Several times.

No, you simply repeated your claims of a perfectly functioning database which, apparently, lacks a system rollback segment. You did not post output from dba_rollback_segs, or your sql.bsq, and your claim that you do not have a system rollback segment was simply that. A claim. Why can't you just cut and paste the output from 'select * from dba_rollback_segs' and have done with it?

> Version 8.1.7 does not handle this as do pervious versions of Oracle.

Yes it does, in this respect at least.

> If you don't believe me try installing it yourself on your own machine. If
 you
> don't like it complain to Oracle.

I have... and there's a system rollback segment there, large as life, and the first line in dba_rollback_segs. And there's no point in complaining to Oracle when the problem is not the (extremely well-known behaviour of the product) but the behaviour of a poster here who claims the impossible.

> I wasn't being cute. I just don't like abusive behavior ... in person or
 on the
> net. And whether you see what you posted in that light or not it is the
> impression you gave to me and still give.

I don't mind mistakes or errors, and I don't hold them against anyone. I make plenty of them myself. What I find objectionable (and abusive of the trust of other posters and lurkers here) is to make a claim, and then disappear when challenged on it. I repeat *all* you have to do is run 'select * from dba_rollback_segs' and post the results.... you will either demonstrate the veracity of your claims, or you will be proved wrong. It's black-and-white. If you prove me wrong, I shall publish a profuse apology, and you'll hear no more from me.

I will be intrigued to know how the hell Oracle handles DML on the data dictionary tables *without* a system rollback segment, and the output from the start of your sql.bsq would go a long way to explaining how that can happen, but you will have demonstrated admirably that miracles can happen.

Of course, if the output from dba_rollback_segs actually demonstrates that there *is* a system rollback segment, you will have some explaining to do.

HJR