Re: Oracle Admin over the Internet

From: Scott Thompson <sft_at_lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 13:35:32 -0500

Additionally, although it is not the default behavior, you can define fixed ports for the MTS dispatchers as well by defining the listener name in the tnsnames.ora (yes, that's right) and using the listener parameter in the mts_dispatcher definitions. And you can still use your firewall or whatever to do IP access control.

Connection manager seems to fall down fairly quickly under larger loads. Even when talking with Oracle support they steered me away from it.

--
Scott Thompson

Dave Leather wrote:

-> Ideally the firewall should have a SQL*Net proxy , but failing that ,Inbound
-> 1521 should do , unless you are using MTS. outbound you will need a large
-> range, use netstat -a to see what ports are being used. Alternativly use
-> connection manager (its part of 8i) , which uses port 1631 by default for
-> both in and out. It can also be used for access control by IP address.
->
-> Dave Leather
-> "Chris Blair" <chris.blair_at_tmcaz.com> wrote in message
-> news:Vcuw6.3796$cN6.276625_at_news.uswest.net...
->
->> Does anybody know what ports to free up on the firewall to allow net8 ->> clients to connect to oracle 8i. If I open up all the ports, I connect
->
-> just
->
->> fine but feel a little naked. I tried opening ports ->> 1521,1575,1630,1787,1799,1830,2481-2484, & 5631. Any other ones to try. ->> Thanks for any help, Chris. ->>