Re: Questions about cloning an instance

From: Vikas Agnihotri <onlyforposting_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:57:54 -0400

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:28:00 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:

[...]
>That gets you a clone with the same database name and Instance name as the
>(currently shutdown) primary. To be able to open the primary, you'll need
>to change the Instance name of the clone (which is done by starting it up
>having previously changed the ORACLE_SID environment parameter).
[...]

Can the instance name (ORACLE_SID) be different than the DB_NAME in the init.ora? I could have sworn that Oracle spits up a ORA- error if that is the case.

Are you saying that I can simply set my ORACLE_SID to "blah" and open up a database with DB_NAME=not_blah?

The ORACLE_SID is used to generate the IPC key used to read the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/sgadef<ORACLE_SID>.dbf shared memory segments, right?

I have read somewhere that the ORACLE_SID and the db name can be different, but I have never come across any environment where they are. Could someone please shed some light on this?

Thanks... Received on Tue Apr 03 2001 - 09:57:54 CDT