Re: " GB File Limit

From: famegan <mogens_at_egan.dk>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 20:13:55 +0200

In article <F43E6BAE5BB5D411A44C00805FBE740D676A05_at_apps.lynx-fsc.co.uk>, ndunbar_at_lynxfinancialsystems.co.uk says...
> Greetings,
>
> This is a very interesting thread, to me anyway, for the following
> reasons :
>
> When I was on the DBA course for O7, I was told that 4 Gb was the max
> file size for an NT system - otherwise it would fall over.
> On our HP servers, there is a operating system limit of "gb anyway
> (unless I create the file system with the largefiles option).
>
> We have just re-created an Oracle 7.3.4 customer database here on site
> to do some performance testing for the customer.
> This was a cold backup of their own database which is running on NT4
> with SP6 applied.
> They have a SINGLE datafile for a single tablespace.
> The file is 28 Gig in size.
> There is 1.25 Gb free in this file.
> The database block size is 8192.
> The file system is NTFS.
> The database works fine.
>
> What have they/we done wrong as this caused me stress when I copied it
> all off tape - remembering the 4Gb limit I was told about on the course.
>

> Puzzled of Bradford :o)
>
> Regards, Norman.

> --------
> Norman Dunbar EMail: NDunbar_at_LynxFinancialSystems.co.uk
> Database/Unix administrator Phone: 0113 289 6265
> Lynx Financial Systems Ltd. Fax: 0113 201 7265

Hi !

We have a 800 GB db on Open VMS (DEC/Compaq) OS files kan be as big as we want, but in the MIGRATION UTIL from 7.3.3 to 8.1.x they (oracle) stressed that NO GENERIC SUPPORT FOR FILES MORE THAN 4 GB ..... never heard of it before :-(

Migr. Util does not work on large files !

Dont do it ... even if Your os CAN do it

 In fact I once saw an article explaining WHY ... (not an excuse ) ...

Mogens Egan
DBA Nordea.com IT

mogens_at_egan.dk