v$parameter ... where is it really defined?

From: Steve Salvemini <steve.salvemini_at_adelaide.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:01:55 +0930

I've noticed if I do an 'alter session set optimizer_mode = rule' in my sql session, the select stmt:

SELECT NAME, VALUE
FROM V$PARAMETER
WHERE NAME = 'optimizer_mode';

will return RULE (instead of the database setting of CHOOSE). This is only for my session, so the v$paramter view seems to be reasonably clever.

So, I see that v$parameter actually is a synonym that points to the view V$_PARAMETER.
The view however selects a few columns from v$parameter.

I started to get confused at this point. Where is the real view defined, ie. how is it doing the session specific query as above for the optimiser mode.

I suspect it is using PARAMATER$ as weel as some of its mates...

Thanks folks. Received on Mon Apr 02 2001 - 19:31:55 CDT