Which version of Oracle 8 to choose and why?

From: Jason Seeley <me_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 16:21:25 +1200

We are currently running version Oracle 7.3.4 on an Alpha processor (64 bit) running Digital Unix 4.0f. With the de-supporting (sp?) of version 7 we have decided to upgrade to version 8.

We use Baan finacial and manufacturing software which uses the oracle database. I have checked with Baan support and they tell me that our current version of Baan will run on Oracle 7 or 8. They would not specify a particular version of 8 to use.

So my question to all of you good folk is this:

How do I decide which version of Oracle 8 do I go with and why?

I have searched Oracle technet high and low, I have read dozens of pages telling me the different features between products, but none tell me why I should choose one version over another, and of course they do not mention any problems I may experience if I choose the wrong one..

If anybody has any advice, suggestions or horror stories they may have experienced when making a similar decision I would appreciate a reply.

Regards
Jason Received on Mon Apr 02 2001 - 23:21:25 CDT