Re: newbie question about to small rollback segment

From: <xmark.powell_at_eds.com.x>
Date: 2 Apr 2001 13:27:24 GMT

In article <9a7n9h$pkd$1_at_reda.worldonline.fr>, @nnibale <annibale_at_ifrance.com> writes:
>hi,
>
>I've made an export full of my oracle 7.1.3 database (30 go).
>My export fail due to rollback segment to small.
>
>my command was :
>exp user/pwd commit=y ignore=y ....
>
>What can I do ?
>
>Thanks.
>Regards.
>@nnib very new in the g_at_me.

An exp does not write to the rollback segments, but rather it reads them to create consistent copies of objects (that is all rows in the table exist as they looked at the point in time of the export of the first row). The data necessary to reconstruct a consistent veiw was not available in the rollback segments resulting in a 'snapshot too old error' so you options are as follows:

1- try again, it may work as the error could have been due to bad timing 2- check out you rbs segments allocations to make sure they are sized for the instance work load
3- use the buffer= parameter on the exp to speed it up. The default buffer size for exp is only 1 or 2 buffers so by setting buffer=1048576 (1M) you can get much better results.

if you bump up the buffer and consistently get a snapshot error while trying to export you need more/larger rbs segments. If the segments are of good size and the snapshot keeps occuring on the same table then look for an update job running against that table and try to move the timing of the exp job to run when that job is not running.