Re: Questions about machine

From: Ben Kleinman <Ben_Kleinman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 13:01:32 +0200

remarks and questions are embedded ;]

> If you are saying that with the Oracle database started, it is chewing up
> 450M, then have a look at your init.ora for that database. Check your
> shared_pool_size, your large_pool_size, your java_pool_size for starters,
> and make them smaller (this has performance impacts, of course). Make
 sure
> your db_block_buffers is not overly-ambitious.

What are suggested settings? I'm only running a very simple database  approx 3000 transactions each day (500 users normally) Total size of the database is now approx 100mb.

> With the sort of memory loads you are mentioning, your database is going
> pageing out to disk before you even start, so you are fighting an uphill
> battle already. If you went to 1Gb of memory, with a load of 550M, you
 are
> still going to be potentially pageing out more than you'd like (that's NT
> for you). If your load is genuinely 550M, then rule-of-thumb theory
> suggests 1.5Gb of memory would be more appropriate.

This will pose a big problem. My motherboard only supports up to 768Mb memory If I'm correct. (have to find that out though)

> You could always do yourself a favour, of course, and put OAS on a
 different
> box from the database itself...

True this is normally the desired situation, but I'm running into money problems here . ;]. I'm just on a small (personal) budget with this one. My company provides me the nesessary Oracle licenses but I've got to install my own servers.

> > Will an upgrade to 512MB memory solve my problems?
> >

> No. If it were that simple, there wouldn't be tuning books and courses,
> would there? Seriously: 512M would of course help a little -but since you
> say you are already using 550M, that wouldn't stop excessive pageing. You
> want plenty of headroom with available physical RAM, or else....

True It will help a bit, but with further tuning down the database to more normal memory usages will increase performance If I'm correct?

thanx in advance Received on Sun Apr 01 2001 - 06:01:32 CDT