Re: Pro's & Con's on Oracle & SQL Svr?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 14:16:05 +0100

Hey I never said that MS didn't use Unix/Oracle etc.Of course they do. Equally the senior jobs at Oracle which require MS Technologists suggest that windows isn't exactly unknown at oracle. The claim that I disbelieve is that Microsoft runs its business on Oracle rather than MS products. I still see no evidence to support this assertion. If I do I will happily apologise as I try to make a habit of doing when I am wrong.

As far as webtv goes, I have no way of verifying the RDBMS in use. I *can* verify that its web server are MS technology. see netcraft.com for the proof. Of course Daniel might wish to argue that the webtv operation doesn't rely on its webservers for its line of business. Seems unlikely to me.

In the end where I am coming from is the position that MS bashing (or Oracle bashing) is a task best left to the marketing gurus and lawyers (and of course those good folks at slashdot). Daniels original statement that "No business the size of Microsoft can run on SQL Server" seems to me to be unfounded prejudice. As for me, I am happy to state that they are both Grade A companies with Grade A products. Our task as IT pofessionals is to make them work in the best interest of those organisations we work for. That is quite big enough a task for me.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
"Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_home.com> wrote in message

..a bunch of unix/oracle etc jobs at MS snipped