Re: How to "Defragment" Tablespaces ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 09:23:00 +1000

"Jose Nicolau" <jose.nicolau_at_clix.pt> wrote in message news:3AC5F67B.D465D48F_at_clix.pt...
> Try
> alter tablespace tbs reorg;
> (I'm not sure about the syntax)

Please! If you're not sure of the syntax to the point where you post something completely and utterly wrong in *principle*, why bother in the first place?

There is *no* syntax for defragmenting a tablespace. Never has been.

In Oracle 7, you have to export everything, drop everything, import everything. It isn't a cheap option, and for that reason, prevention is a million times better than cure. Consistent extent sizes per tablespace, as has been repeatedly posted here over the months, will totally prevent fragmentation (it's just a shame that you can't guarantee such consistent extents in Oracle 7 -time to upgrade to 8i where you can!).

Regards
HJR