Re: Pro's & Con's on Oracle & SQL Svr?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 02:00:40 -0800

"Excuse Me ..." wrote:

> Is it possible for us to use something objective even in the worldwide
> aspect to evaluate the two?
> For instance .......
>
> HOW MUCH THEY COST US? :-) VERY OBJECTIVE, ISN'T IT?! :-D
I can't think of any criteria I care less about when deciding on an RDBMS than cost.

My first concern is stability. If it isn't up 7x24 it is worthless. My second concern is security. If some 16 year old kid can hack the system it is worthless.
My third concern is scalability. If it won't scale it will soon become worthless.
My fourth concern is performance. Because I can always buy more CPUs, more RAM, more machines if I need to.

Then ... and only then ... do I start worrying about the cost of the hardware, the cost of the O/S, the cost of the RDBMS, the cost of the sysadmins, the cost of DBAs and the cost of developers.

It doesn't matter what it costs if it doesn't work as a long-term solution.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Mar 31 2001 - 04:00:40 CST