Re: Commit -> write to data file immediately???

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 16:11:00 +0100

The timestamps on files are not necessarily relevant. HP-UX, for example, has (?had) two flags for writing to files OSYNC and ODSYNC. One updates the file, the other updates the file and the inode.

At some level of HP-UX and Oracle, performance on writes bombed because the wrong flag was used by Oracle, and an o/s workaround was needed to bypass the problem (setting osync_is_odsync).

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html