Parallel Query work on 1 CPU machine?

From: Maria Walski <mwalski_at_classicplan.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:50:39 GMT

Hello,

I am trying to play on a test machine with the Parallel Query Option. I cannot seem to get a query to perform a parallel full table scan. I have searched on metalink and I believe I have all the proper init.ora parameters set:
NT 4.0, Oracle 8.1.7 Enterprise Edition.

parallel_threads_per_cpu = 2
parallel_min_servers = 0
parallel_max_servers = 5

The test machine only has 1 CPU, does the parallel query even work if the machine only has 1 CPU? I realize you need more than 1 cpu for it to be very beneficial, however, I am not really concerned with the performance, but I would just like to see a query use the parallel option.

To Test:

I built a 1,000,000 row table and I am using the following query:

SELECT /*+ FULL(TEST) PARALLEL */ COUNT(*) FROM TEST When I do an explain plan, I cannot seem to get any parallel execution.

I also tried
SELECT /*+ FULL(TEST) PARALLEL(3) */ COUNT(*) FROM TEST Is there something I am missing or must you have > 1 CPU? Is 1,000,000 rows too small?

Thanks, Jim Received on Fri Mar 30 2001 - 08:50:39 CST