Re: switch logfile question

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:55:29 -0800

One difference between the two statements (at least on Win2000, Oracle 8.1.7), is that when you do "alter system switch logfile", only the two affected redo logs and the new archive log are updated (you can check the timestamp on the files). When you do "alter system archive log current", all the datafiles and control files are touched. (It also perceptibly takes longer to complete.)

Another difference is that "alter system archive log current" will generate an ora-01126 error unless you are in archivelog mode.

There are possibly other differences.

Frank Hubeny