Re: Q: Want to Migrate 8i from WindowsNT to Linux

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:53:50 +1000

"Todd Gillespie" <toddg_at_linux127.ma.utexas.edu> wrote in message news:9a0nlu$6ed$1_at_geraldo.cc.utexas.edu...
> Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
> : Hence, editing the dump file corrupted it. I tried it with both vi and
> : pico.

> : Well, if you say you've done it, care to tell us how? What O/S was
> : involved, what editor you used, any restrictions you've encountered when
> : doing the deed. Because, as things stand, I've never once been able to
 pull
> : that trick off, and I don't personally know anyone who has managed it
> : either.
>
> Whoops! I was a little caffeinated, I didn't mean to get ad homeinum
> about OSs & such.
> I love vi, but it's still underweight for this task. Use Emacs - it has a
> binary editor mode. (It might be default, I'm not sure. I've munged my
> rc files so far I wouldn't recognize default.)
> I *know* pico will screw you, since it auto-linewraps, nevermind the
> text-binary problem.
>
> I did this under Linux & Solaris, & used Emacs(again, not sure about
> defaults, but make sure you edit as binary data). When the dump file is
> longer than 100Megs or so and I know what I'm looking for, I'll stream it
> through a perl script and have a regexp do the transforms (as it takes
> less memory & time). Either way, they don't reinterpret characters. A
> systems progger could tell you a good deal more.

So, the final story on this is that you can edit the dump file using a binary/hex editor... as I posted elsewhere, that much I think many of us knew already, and the qualification that is now apparent (a *binary* editor is required) is rather fundamental.

Compare that with what you originally posted, and perhaps you will agree that there could be many innocent newbie DBAs out there with stuffed dump files as a result of previously omitting the critical piece of information.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Mar 30 2001 - 20:53:50 CST