Re: Restoring a dump created by "exp".

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:56:34 +0200

"John Peterson" <johnp_at_azstarnet.com> wrote in message news:tc7ndk5c4rfu48_at_corp.supernews.com...
> Hello!
>
> I have Oracle 8.1.7 running on Windows 2000 Professional and I have been
> handed a dump file of an Oracle schema that was generated using the "exp"
> command-line utility.
>
> I would like to restore this dump file (using "imp", presumably), but I'm
> not sure what I need to do before I try "imp". I suspect that I need to
> first create an empty schema, but I don't really know how to go about
 doing
> that. Does the dump file contain everything that Oracle would "need to
> know" to create the schema if I just try and "imp" it?
>
> Thanks for any insight! :-)
>
> John Peterson

This would depend on whether your file is a full database dump or an user dump.
In the latter case it doesn't contain a create user statement. You can find out this very easily by running imp <username/password of a privileged user on the target database> file=<your dump file> show=y full=y log=<any filename> and you will get an ASCII dump of all the DDL statements in the export. If this is an user dump, you need to issue a create user statement before importing.
Further details in the Oracle Server Utilities Manual.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu Mar 29 2001 - 22:56:34 CST