Re: Commit -> write to data file immediately???

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:13:05 +0100

"Norman Dunbar" <ndunbar_at_lynxfinancialsystems.co.uk> wrote in message news:F43E6BAE5BB5D411A44C00805FBE740D6DF36B_at_apps.lynx-fsc.co.uk...
> >> Anyway, the most important misunderstanding above is the 3 second
> >> timeout. DBWR will wake up every 3 seconds regardless of anything
> >> else, but won't necessarily write anything at that point.
>
> Interesting. My course notes clearly state that there will be a
> checkpoint 'n' seconds after the last one (but only if
> LOG_CHECKPOINT_TIMEOUT is set to 'n' seconds.

This sounds like the misuderstanding I was inadvertently responsible for posting to this group a while back.

DBWR does write every 3 seconds. This is not a checkpoint (in the sense of writing the redo log buffer to disk). The LOG_CHECKPOINT_TIMEOUT controls how often LOG writer writes. (unless of course I've got it all terminally confused again).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA