Re: Q: Want to Migrate 8i from WindowsNT to Linux

From: Todd Gillespie <toddg_at_linux127.ma.utexas.edu>
Date: 30 Mar 2001 01:31:42 GMT

Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
: Hence, editing the dump file corrupted it. I tried it with both vi and
: pico.

: Well, if you say you've done it, care to tell us how? What O/S was
: involved, what editor you used, any restrictions you've encountered when
: doing the deed. Because, as things stand, I've never once been able to pull
: that trick off, and I don't personally know anyone who has managed it
: either.

Whoops! I was a little caffeinated, I didn't mean to get ad homeinum about OSs & such.
I love vi, but it's still underweight for this task. Use Emacs - it has a binary editor mode. (It might be default, I'm not sure. I've munged my rc files so far I wouldn't recognize default.) I *know* pico will screw you, since it auto-linewraps, nevermind the text-binary problem.

I did this under Linux & Solaris, & used Emacs(again, not sure about defaults, but make sure you edit as binary data). When the dump file is longer than 100Megs or so and I know what I'm looking for, I'll stream it through a perl script and have a regexp do the transforms (as it takes less memory & time). Either way, they don't reinterpret characters. A systems progger could tell you a good deal more. Received on Thu Mar 29 2001 - 19:31:42 CST