Re: Q: Want to Migrate 8i from WindowsNT to Linux

From: Syltrem <syltrem_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:11:42 -0500

> > > Whoops!  You don't work on a Unix system!  Sucks, don't it!
> > > I'm happy that I work on systems that don't draw a distinction between
> > > text & binary data.

They don't all suck! Good old reliable faithful OpenVMS is the same. I can edit dump files if I like (although I never had to). Let's try:
$ exp user/pwd tables=test file=f.dmp
$ sqlplus --> drop table test;
$ analyze/rms/fdl/output=f.fdl f.dmp ! Save dump file structure info
(fdl=file definition language)
$ edit f.dmp --> replace tablespace name in there
$ convert/fdl=f.fdl f.dmp new.dmp ! Let's get back to the good file
structure
$ imp user/pwd tables=test file=new.dmp

(no errors reported)
$ sqlplus --> select tablespace_name from user_tables where
table_name='TEST';

Strange: the table is in the same tablespace it was to begin with. It looks like the TEXT statement in the dump fil is not used, but some other binary stuff in there. I tried IMP SHOW=Y and got the command with the updated tablespace name.
So the real IMPort does not run the command stored in text format in the dump file, but the SHOW=Y just prints this command.

Conclusion: You can modify the .DMP file on VMS, but it`s no use. Better do a SHOW=Y and then modify the output of this command. That's what I always do.

--

Syltrem
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem