Re: Questions about cloning an instance

From: Greg Akins <insomnia_at_cvzoom.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:51:04 -0500

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:3ac3387b_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> Hi Greg,
>
> I honestly don't see the need to guess at all!

You're right, I'm still stuck in the create database and import prod data. But It's becoming much more clear now, what I'm doing.

> That gets you a clone with the same database name and Instance name as the
> (currently shutdown) primary. To be able to open the primary, you'll need
> to change the Instance name of the clone (which is done by starting it up
> having previously changed the ORACLE_SID environment parameter).

<..snip...>

The database will be in Win2K, so I think I have to use Oradim rather than just changing the environment variables? But as you noted, it's a different box, so I can leave the SID and databasename the same (tnsnames.ora can distinguish between the SID on BoxA, from SID on BoxB right?).

Again, I appreciate all the help.

-greg