Re: 2 questions: data block corruption + good oracle troubleshoooting sites

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 06:57:04 +1000

"Jose Aragao" <ubik_at_hotvoice.com> wrote in message news:dxow6.151$J73.2702_at_nreader2.kpnqwest.net...
> Hello.
>
> 2 questions:
>
> - I'm having the following error when accessing Oracle using SQL
 Navigator:

> ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file # 1, block # 40401)
> ORA-01110: data file 1: '/home/oracle/data1/oradata/ORCL/system01.dbf'
>
> I know that there is data block corruption (duh!) and that i have to
 restore
> the segment with block # 40401, but i don't know if this recovering of the
> segment will cause loss of data. Is that the case?

If you are in archivelog mode, shutdown, restore the system data file, mount the database, and tell it to 'recover database'. Complete recovery will

then take place, and not a record will have been lost (except anything that
was uncommitted, of course).  If you don't have archives, shutdown, blow
everything away, and restore the entire set of datafiles, redo logs and
control files from backup. And yes, at that point you've lost potentially lots of data.

HJR