Re: Pro's & Con's on Oracle & SQL Svr?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:12:14 -0800

> Does anyone know of any articles on the internet that list the pro's and
> con's of Oracle and SQL Server 2000? It would be good to see a bullet point
> list of the good and bad on each. I am considering starting a database
> driven web-site and am quite frankly un-certain on which database would be
> best for the job.

I know of no accurate, unbiased comparison on the web. But I'll give you my take on it

  1. Microsoft uses Oracle as the back-end database for a number of its internal databases because its own product is incapable of running a company the size of Microsoft. In fact, Microsoft is one of the largest Oracle clients in the State of Washington (and yes I work in Bellevue and Redmond, WA and I have friends there).
  2. Members of the team at Microsoft that wrote the database engine (currently in SQL Server) left the company last year and formed their own company ... the last time I visited them their host O/S was Linux. So you can pretty easily figure out they weren't running the product they developed in their own company.
  3. Of the two Fortune 500 companies I have consulted with in the last two years ... none allow SQL Server for line-of-business applications due to stability, scalability, security, and performance. They mandate Oracle or DB/2 Universal Server.
  4. The company I currently consult to was founded by ex-Microsoft employees and its current product line is 100% SQL Server based. Right now they are recreating their product line in Oracle ... due to customer demand.

I don't think the information you seek is in any written comparison by people that may or may not have a vested interest in what they write. I think the information is in the reality of what is used in the marketplace.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Mar 28 2001 - 23:12:14 CST