Re: How to break Oracle so that I must recover from hot backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:33:56 +1000

My favourite demo is to open the current redo log file in vi, and do a bit of free-thinking text writing (I usually insert the line 'now is the time for all good people to come to the aid of the party', but your mileage might vary). Save the file, and you've just corrupted the current redo log.... (it will help if you have NOT mirrored your redo logs).

...So, can you now do an incomplete recovery?

Or... delete a data file. (But that's easy)

Or, delete all copies of the Control File (ditto, provided you have the trace script)

Delete a datafile, and delete a few archives whilst you're at it.

Drop a table or two, and get them back.

Drop a table, then do 100 inserts to a second table, and see if you can get the first table back, whilst preserving the 100 crucial updates (and no, you don't have a recent Export).

Interesting one: do a Sqloader load, nologging, then update some of the records that were loaded, then delete the data file (ie, the records themselves are not recoverable, but the updates to them are).

The piece de resistance is, of course, to delete all controlfiles, all datafiles and all redo logs, and still get the thing back up and running.

Have fun