Re: Help! very strange security problems.

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:23:18 -0800

> verison: 8.1.7 (on solaris 8)
>
> This is a new installation. Hv trouble on connecting the database/instance
> with user other than Internal
>
> My setting:
> Unix user name: phoenixx
> Primary group for phoenixx: dba
> SID: phoenixx
>
> (as recommended in some articles, I hv also created these b4 oracle
> installation:)
> Oracle installation Unix user name: oracle
> Primary group for that: oinstall
>
> The oracle s/w directories and the datafiles directories are owned by oracle
> unix user and oinstall unix group.
>
> Have created orapwphoenixx password file under $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory.
>
> OK to connect using internal e.g. sqlplus internal (password remains as
> oracle so no need to provide) but ...
>
> Main Problem:
> Except using Internal, unable to connect using other user accounts e.g.
> sqlplus system/manager, sqlplus sysdba/change_on_install (those are default
> passwords I've never changed)
> System refuse to let me in.
>
> If I connect as internal first eg sqlplus internal then connect
> system/manager, system will either disconnect me or has following msgs and
> disconnect me:
>
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
> SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory
>
> Anything I can do to fix this? Is it my configuration problem? Pls help.
>
> In fact, I want to create a oracle db user and login as this user. But hv
> this problem and I can't continue.
>
> Question 2:
> Is it true that the phoenixx Unix user must have dba as the primary group?
>
> Question 3:
> After I include phoenixx Unix user as member of dba group, STILL no need
> password even I re-create the orapwdphoenixx password file and set a
> different password otherr than default 'oracle'. Why?

When you say you can get in as internal I presume you mean to Server Manager. What have you done when in there to confirm that the database is up? Have you checked listener status? And when installing Oracle did you follow the directions and set the shared memory parameters in Solaris?

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Feb 28 2001 - 23:23:18 CST