Online backup: Backup online redologs?

From: Vikas Agnihotri <onlyforposting_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:16:48 -0500

Kevin Loney's Oracle 8 DBA handbook mentions the following 3-step process for a online/hot backup:

  1. Backup each tablespace by putting it in backup mode
  2. Backup the archived redologs (and optionally delete them to save space)
  3. Backup the controlfile using ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE

Why is there no mention of the online redologs? During BEGIN BACKUP, arent the changed blocks written to the online redologs (in addition to the datafiles themselves)? So, if my entire backup is over before the online logs cycle, my online backup will be missing the changes generated during the backup since they are present only in the online redologs, right? What am I missing?

And if the online redologs should indeed be backed up, shouldnt there be a BEGIN BACKUP for them as well since they are in a state of flux?

Thanks... Received on Tue Mar 27 2001 - 09:16:48 CST