Questions about cloning an instance

From: Greg Akins <insomnia_at_cvzoom.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:27:19 -0500

Hello,

I am setting up a test server which need to mimic a production oracle 8i database.

From a highlevel perspective I believe I have to

  1. Create the instance with an init.ora similar to the production (differences for SGA settings only?)
  2. Create a script to recreate the users and tablespaces? Tablespace can be the same, but the test box only has one disk, so Datafile locations will be different.
  3. Full Export from Production and import to Test.

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-greg