Re: determine num rows in a table without doing a count(*)

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 06:55:58 -0800

> Is there a data dictionary table that holds a record of the number of rows
> in a table.
>
> I need to determine the number of rows without doing a count(*).

The number of rows in a table is accessible through the field num_rows in the views DBA_TABLES, ALL_TABLES, and USER_TABLES.

But you must run analyze on the table or schema before the values are populated.

But I am fascinated ... why can't you run SELECT COUNT(*)?

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Tue Mar 27 2001 - 08:55:58 CST