Re: Export a user from just the datafile

From: <xmark.powell_at_eds.com.x>
Date: 26 Mar 2001 14:31:01 GMT

In article <TE9v6.82736$Ch.11903818_at_typhoon.we.rr.com>, Brad <bradhale_at_removethis.bradhale.com> writes:
>Does anyone have an idea of how I could export a user from just the
>datafile. My clients system is hosed (we can select, update, etc... but
>can't export from it). Does anyone know of any way to extract the schema
>from the datafile.
>Thanks
>--
>The world is made up of two kinds of people. Those
>who love to talk and those who hate to listen....
>(James Thorpe)

If you can select then you can spool the data so if should be easy to create a series of delimited files that you can reload using sqlldr. The dictionary view sys.dba_extents should tell you what objects are in the file. Remember that objects can span files.

But if you can select, update, etc... then you should be able to run exp. Have you verified that the dictionary export views are not damaged by trying to rebuild them using catexp? Where are you running exp from? If you are trying to run the export using a PC based client then perhaps you have a version conflict and can use the db server exp/imp to get around the problem.

Depending on the site backups and source procedures if you need SQL scripts to extract DDL from the dictionary there have been numberous posts on this board in the past, which you might be able to find by searching the archives. The IOUG site features a bunch of these. And Oracle support has issued one or two documents with this kind of code in them.

I hope this helps some.