Re: Tablespace export ???? how ???

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:54:38 +1000

Well, far be it for me to intervene between two posters I respect enormously, but my take on all this is: any time you are invited to mess around with scripts supplied by Oracle, leave well alone.

To do so requires a level of knowledge that is not apparent in the big wide world out there. To do so also invites Oracle to say, "What? What did you do? See you later sonny" -and regardless of the rights and wrongs, some support wunderkind is bound to use this sort of technique as a beaut way out of dealing with the actual issues.

I'm also of the opinion that Oracle should be made to work on a level playing field. They supply these scripts: so they should make 'em work. It shouldn't require my genius to insert capability where none was intended... not unless they pay me heaps, anyway.

Next,you'll be telling me that Windows can be made to work as efficently as Linux, if only you have access to a hex editor, and the Guru from Hell. It may work... but I wouldn't want to play Solitaire on it.

Regards
HJR "Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam> wrote in message news:3abf1d93.5559099_at_news-server...
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:52:11 +0100, "Niall Litchfield"
> <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:
>
> >but the second being that this would have to invalidate any support you
 got
> >from Oracle at least as far as export goes
>
> Beg your pardon? In what way? I suggest you read again about the
> method. There is no invalidation of anything delivered by ORACLE and
> exp will continue to operate normally. Check it again.
>
> >unnecessarily confuse the hell out of any replacement dba who comes in
 when
> >you move on to better things. In other words it is a recipe for a support
> >nightmare.
> >

> Rubbish. A good DBA will document what he/she does and leave it very
> well explained to any successor. Particularly if any procedure is
> slightly off the book. If you had ever seen the sort of documentation
> I leave behind in my clients, you'd understand this very clearly.
> Most of the time it becomes a site standard, although rarely do I see
> an "ack" to the author...
> I have yet to see 1(ONE) ORACLE site here in Australia that is as well
> documented as the ones I work with. And that's a fact I'll prove and
> demonstrate any time you care to name.
>
> Pity ORACLE doesn't recommend and teach this upfront in their courses,
> instead of talking about obscure third party tools and such.
>
> >I have to wonder publicly about the wisdom of offering 'advice' which
> >involves modify the way in which Oracle is designed to work such as
> >modifying sql.bsq or the built in data-dictionary or utilities views.
 ISTM
> >that such advice is at best unhelpful and at worst dangerous.
>
> Another old hat thing from ORACLE support. They are the first ones to
> do this. Then they want nobody else to do it. I'll remind you that
> support was the very first one to customize sql.bsq, not me. And I
> don't do anything to this file that is not documented in the file
> itself. So your point on this is at the best ill-intentioned, as well
> as completely incorrect.
>
> As for the built-in dictionary, I have never made or recommended any
> changes to it, regardless of what you may have been told. To claim
> that I have done so is at best *misleading*. Frankly, I didn't expect
> that of someone of your credentials.
>
> As for the views, I or anyone else can take a copy and change them to
> make them more useful or safer. You know perfectly well that this was
> done quite often by many DBAs and is also done by many, many third
> party tools. Eg, to hide passwords on db-links and such. It's not
> news, it's totally and completely harmless and has no impact
> whatsoever on the operation of the system. Provided the original views
> are still there, there is no alteration whatsoever of anything.
>
> >If however the X was 'Ah just replace RMAN with my hacked version that
 works
> >in a different way' ISTM the only sensible thing for Oracle to say is '
 OK