Re: Tablespace export ???? how ???

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:52:11 +0100

I would strongly suggest that you do NOT consider Nuno's method 1 below for 2 reasons, the most important of which being that you do not understand it, but the second being that this would have to invalidate any support you got from Oracle at least as far as export goes and whats more would unnecessarily confuse the hell out of any replacement dba who comes in when you move on to better things. In other words it is a recipe for a support nightmare.

I have to wonder publicly about the wisdom of offering 'advice' which involves modify the way in which Oracle is designed to work such as modifying sql.bsq or the built in data-dictionary or utilities views. ISTM that such advice is at best unhelpful and at worst dangerous.

Of course we all offer 'advice' from time to time with errors in it, or based on a misunderstanding of the problem the poster has. This is different because when the support call to Oracle arrives along the lines of 'Some bloke called Niall that I don't really know but he seems to post a lot in comp.databases.oracle.* told me to do X' at least Oracle Support can say 'What did you listen to that fool for, here is what you should be doing'. If however the X was 'Ah just replace RMAN with my hacked version that works in a different way' ISTM the only sensible thing for Oracle to say is ' OK uninstall Oracle and rebuild from scratch using your last good backup'.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA