Re: Ora-6502: character string buffer too small

From: <raas.no_spam_at_interware.hu>
Date: 26 Mar 2001 06:07:30 GMT

Martin Haltmayer <Martin.Haltmayer_at_0800-einwahl.de> wrote:
> What is the structure of table z?

hi,

since then, after 3 hours, I was able to recognize that the function wanted VARCHAR input but the table column was of CHAR type. Modifying the function appropriately, it seemed to work.

I replaced the 'BEGIN; return(1); END;' with the 'real' function body. But, if inside the function

(that is, now:

 FUNCTION x (nnn in number, sss in char) RETURN NUMBER IS

)

I did

IF sss LIKE 'some.thing%'

then execution had failed again with the same error, on the first row that actually contained data.

Workaround was to assing the value of sss to a VARCHAR type variable, then I was able to use LIKE.

Think I found a bug or something? Or is it me?

[actually, the original error DIDN'T show up for just any data in table z. The function worked well for months. Now it seems that it fails on tables that contain NULLs in theis VARCHAR columns, and it fails on the first row that is NOT NULL. Right now, I'm happy to live with the working function and tables but I will try to reproduce the error under laboratory conditions if some of you guys say it's a bug and not me :]

regards
r. Received on Mon Mar 26 2001 - 00:07:30 CST