Re: Solaris, O8i, utl_file file permissions

From: Andy Hardy <newsmar01_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:18:04 +0000

In article <3ABB59A6.2F5FC933_at_usgs.gov>, Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov> writes
>It's obvious that UTL_FILE is not looking at your .profile and the umask
>defined there. If you want to change the file permissions, then you'll
>have to code it. For instance:
> BEGIN
> <UTL_FILE routine to make the file>;
> <change the file permissions>;
> END;
>
>You can use one of the more common methods to accomplish the changing of
>file permissions. Something like this can be performed with a call to an
>external C program, or by passing something through a pipe and having a
>program pick up the contents of the pipe and changing the file
>permissions.
>
>HTH,
>Brian

Thanks for your help.

After much fumbling around it suddenly dawned that utl_file uses the umask permissions set by the user that starts the *listener* - on our development machine the listener had been started by someone who has a umask of 077. So, although the files were created as owned by Oracle, they weren't using the Oracle user umask settings.

Andy