Re: How to become SYSDBA - Oracle 8i Sun Solaris

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 18:31:04 +0100

"Carsten Jacobs" <carsten.jacobs_at_web.de> wrote in message news:99fp0d$12fn1$1_at_ID-21443.news.dfncis.de...
> Hi admins,
>
> I installed O8i 1.7 and a database whichnis running in NOARCHIVELOG mode.
> Now I want to change this. But I don't know how.
> In the DBA-studio I can't connect as SYS with SYSDBA priv. Igot the error
> message 'insufficient priviledges'. Then I tried to grant the
> systempriviledge SYSDBA to sys but it's simply not there.
>
> I have an O8i on NT and there I can find this priv.
>
> So what can I do for switching to ARCHIVELOG mode?
>
> Many thanks for any help
>
> Carsten

Start a telnet session to the server, from your pc, connecting as unix user oracle. Now you should be able to connect as sysdba without problem. If you want to become sysdba from your pc you can at the same time change remote_login_password_file in init<sid>.ora to exclusive and bounce your database.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri Mar 23 2001 - 11:31:04 CST