Re: New behaviour in later versions of Oracle??

From: Calvin Crumrine <Calvin_Crumrine_at_dced.state.ak.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:20:40 -0900

Calvin Crumrine wrote:

> Frank wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Have anyone else read somewhere that '' not will be the same as NULL
> > in some future version of Oracle?
> >
> > Frank
>
> I've not read that about future versions of Oracle, but I have read it
> (somewhere-don't have the source handy) that it's not the same in the
> SQL standard.

Just found this site:
http://technet.oracle.com/doc/server.815/a68020/ch6.htm#4790 and it says:
According to the ANSI SQL 1992 Transitional standard, a zero-length or empty string is not the same as NULL. The Oracle database server may comply fully with this aspect of the standard in the future. Therefore, it is recommended that applications ensure that empty strings values and NULL are not treated equivalently.

Note the 'may comply'. Received on Fri Mar 23 2001 - 16:20:40 CST