Re: Oracle 8i on Linux

From: Steve Blomeley <steveblomeley_at_yahooDOTco.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 00:46:22 +0000

Mike Heden wrote:

> I am currently responsible for a system based on Oracle 8.1.7 Enterprise
> Edition running under Solaris 2.7. I want to build a server for my own use
> at home for both educational and development purposes. I'd prefer to create
> a system that is similar to that at work, but I am not prepared to buy my
> own Sun box :)
>
> Does anyone have experience of Oracle 8.1.7 under Linux? Which version of
> Linux would you recommend? What sort of hardware configuration would you go
> for?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me.
>
> Mike

If you want a system that is similar to that at work, how about Solaris/Intel? I believe you can get a multi-CD kit that includes Solaris8/Intel + Oracle 8.1.7 + a bunch of GNU software, and the price for a developer license is not much more than that of a good linux distribution. Check out SUNs website for more details.

If you do decide to go for Linux, it seems the most painless method is to go for an "old" Linux distribution (eg: SuSE 6.2; RH6.2), rather than the most recent versions. One advantage of the Linux/Oracle path is the volume of help available on-line (via newsgroups, HOWTO websites, etc...)

hth
SB Received on Fri Mar 23 2001 - 18:46:22 CST