Re: How to change INTERNAL password on NT

From: Panos Kavalagios <P.Kavalagios_at_hydro.ntua.gr>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:07:40 +0200

Tim Lee wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Could someone pls tell me how could I change the INTERNAL password form
> ORACLE to <somthing else>. I installed Oracle 8.1.6 on NT4 and try to
> execute the following command
>
> SQL> alter user internal identified by oracle;
>
> and come out with the following errors
>
> alter user internal identified by oracle
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01918: user 'INTERNAL' does not exist

    Internal password cannot be changed with alter user SQL command. You should use the oracle utility orapwd, because the password is kept outside the database in a file called pwdSID.ora in the %ORACLE_HOME%\database directory. Do the following:

Start > Run -> command
cd %ORACLE_HOME%\database
move pwdSID.ora pwdSIDora.old
orapwd file=pwdSID.ora password=oracle

where SID is the database SID which you want to set internal password and then restart the database instance from Control Panel -> Services. This is the procedure to change internal password in Oracle 8.1.5 and I think it will be the same for Oracle 8.1.6.

Panos Received on Fri Mar 23 2001 - 05:07:40 CST