Re: Re: Re: Performance with one Sun T3 disk array

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 23 Mar 2001 17:42:18 +0000 (GMT)

 <u577606201_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net> wrote:
>> It is my belief that T3 supports RAID 0,1 or 5.
>
>Do you know that the T3 does not support RAID 1+0 or
>RAID 0+1 at the hardware (controller) level?
>
>>Apart from that answer, RAID 0+1 is different than RAID 1+0.
>
>That had not occurred to me before, and I'm don't see
>the difference if both levels of RAID are implemented
>on the same "level" i.e. hardware or OS. For the example
>of all hardware RAID, if you mirror drives 1 and 2,
>3 and 4, and 5 and 6, and then you stripe across the
>three pairs, the result is essentially the same as
>if you stripe across 1,2 and 3 and then mirror that
>volume onto 4,5 and 6, is it not?

It's the same until you lose a drive and need to resilver. If you mirror then stripe the disk-pairs (RAID 1+0), then you only need to resilver a single drive. If you stripe then mirror (RAID 0+1), then you need to resilver the whole stripe.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/