Re: Help....Oracle 8i Assistants not working !!!!!!

From: Venkat Iyer <venkat_p_iyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:06:13 +0800

hi sybrand....

i have been checking out on the space limits on my C:\ that u mentioned ...and also the swap file....

like i said....i have 160 MB RAM....so going by the general guidelines like u said, the swap file must be somewhere near 300-320 MB....however it is only 170 mb......

now i tried to get some free space on my drives...to my shock i found that the datafiles constitute 1560 mb !!!!! and mind u ..this is on my laptop....i have nowhere near that amount of data..as the laptop is only for my development purpose....i just keep some sample data in the tables..so i poked around and found some ridiculous settings for initial, next and pctincrease for most of the tables, to the extent that some tables with just a few records in them were blocking something like 90 mb...so i recreated all the tables with decent storage allocations....bought in each table into an extent and reclaimed around 400-600 mb....but still i am not able to resize my datafile to a smaller size...it says that some part of the datafile is in use...i can't figure out why this is happening....i repeat....i have NOWHERE near that amount of data....and i made *sure* i did the allocation rite coz it took me 4 days to do it after work daily.....

so *how* do i reclaim space from my database ???????

thanx
venkat Received on Fri Mar 23 2001 - 07:06:13 CST