Re: Backup questions

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:20:51 +1100

"Matthieu Darnet" <darnet_at_club-internet.fr> wrote in message news:99b9do$lua$1_at_front9.grolier.fr...
> Hi,
>
> <vikasa_at_despammed.com> a écrit dans le message news:
> sl2ibt4pm54th4q8ig5be9jlcghs3luppb_at_4ax.com...
> > Would appreciate help with the following backup/recovery related
> > issues:
> >
> > 1. During online backup, when a tablespace is marked as BEGIN BACKUP,
> > any changes to that tablespae are recorded in the redologs. When the
> > END BACKUP is issued, does Oracle read the redologs and apply these
> > changes to the actual datafile(s) of the tablespace? Or does it just
> > stay in the redolog?
> When the END BACKUP is issued, all the changes made during backup are
> applied on the tablespace.

Total rubbish. Hot backup does not prevent normal I/O to the datafile. If it did, we wouldn't have to swamp the redo subsystem with block sized redo trying to prevent block fracturing (which only happens when the O/S is grabbing bits of Oracle blocks *whilst the rest of the block is being updated*.

HJR